Life is about relationships. In fact, Dee Bowman once wrote a book entitled, “It’s All About The People.” Indeed it is.
Today’s list, adapted from the British author, motivational speaker, and life coach, Richard Denny, offers some succinct relationship advice.
10 TIPS FOR GETTING ALONG BETTER WITH PEOPLE
1. Guard your tongue, say less than you think.
2. Make promises sparingly, keep them faithfully.
3. Never let an opportunity pass to say a kind word. Look for the good in people.
4. Be interested in others, their pursuits, work, and family.
5. Be cheerful, don’t dwell on minor aches and small disappointments.
6. Keep an open mind, discuss but don’t argue, disagree without being disagreeable.
7. Discourage gossip; it’s destructive.
8. Be mindful of the feelings of others. This is empathy, standing in the other person’s shoes.
9. Pay no attention to ill-natured remarks about you. Live so that nobody will believe them.
10. Every day be determined to enhance somebody else’s’ life with a kind word, a compliment or even a smile.
The observation of Earl Nightengale is still true today, “Getting along well with other people is still the world’s most needed skill. With it…there is no limit to what a person can do. We need people. We need the cooperation of others. There’s very little we can do alone.”
–Ken Weliever, The Preacherman