September 20, 2021 · 7:17 am
Three thousand five hundred fifty(3,550) days ago I published my first blog post. Today WordPress says today’s post is #2800.
What began as a short-term idea during a gap between full-time preaching for local churches, has become a long-lasting ministry.
Posts have been written from almost every state and several countries. We’ve written when we felt like it and when we didn’t. When it was easy and when it was difficult. When thoughts were flowing freely and sometimes when the well was running dry. Continue reading →
March 19, 2018 · 7:18 am
What a wild, wacky, wonderful weekend of college basketball. The NCAA Men’s Tournament has provided incredible comebacks, thrilling upsets and historic wins in the past four days.
After a 134 losses by a #16 seed to a #1 seed, UMBC stunned and actually stomped by the overall #1 seed Virginia, who was the favorite by many experts to win the championship. Continue reading →
September 5, 2017 · 7:05 am
What do you do when the odds are stacked against you? When nothing you do seems to work? When losing seems inevitable?
Ask the UCLA football team.
Ask the Tennessee football team.
I have been up later than usual the past two nights watching college football. Sunday night Norma Jean said, “Are you watching football?” Continue reading →
Filed under Persistence
Tagged as Persistence
January 10, 2017 · 6:53 am
Last night’s College Football Championship game was one for the ages. It was a battle of wills. Mental toughness. Physical stamina. Emotional fortitude. And a never say die attitude.
In an upset, the Clemson Tigers scored the winning touchdown with one second left in the game to beat the favored Alabama Crimson Tide, 35-31. Continue reading →
June 21, 2016 · 4:30 am
Sunday night something happened in the NBA playoffs that has never happened before in its illustrious 70 year history.
The Cleveland Cavilers rallied from a 3-1 deficit to win the title. In doing so they beat the reigning champion Golden State Warriors who had posted the best record in the history of the league, 73-9.
When the Cavs were down 3-1, ESPN only gave them an 8% chance of winning the title. Golden State was only 1 win away with a 92% of securing the championship. Yet, led by super star, LaBron James, the Cavs beat the odds and achieved something everyone thought impossible. Continue reading →
May 18, 2016 · 4:59 am
When you think you’ve experienced more challenges than you can handle and your failures are crying for you to quit, consider this man.
In ‘16 His family was forced out of their home. He had to work to support them.
In ‘18 His mother died.
In ‘31 Failed in business. Continue reading →
March 22, 2016 · 6:32 am
This week we are in North Texas house hunting. To find the “right” house requires looking at a lot of houses! It takes persistence and perseverance. But that’s definitely not the big news in the lone-star state.
We’re here in Aggie land. And hoops fans are ecstatic about their men’s basketball team. For the non-sports person, here’s what happened over the week-end. Continue reading →
November 3, 2015 · 4:58 am
It’s an exciting time to live in Kansas City. The Royals, affectionately known by the locals as “the boys in blue” beat the New York Mets Sunday night in 5 games to capture the World Series crown.
It’s not just that they won. But it’s how they did it. Eight times they came from behind, seven of those by more than two runs to win. The final game was epic. Trailing 2-0 going to the ninth inning, they tied the game with clutch hits, daring base-running, and being opportunistic with opponents errors. The game and the series was won in the 12th with a five-run explosion. Continue reading →
August 3, 2015 · 5:52 am
Victor Villasenor was born in the barrio of Carlsbad, California in 1940. When Victor began school, he spoke only Spanish, like his Mexican parents. Besides the language barrier, he faced cultural challenges, heavy discrimination and a reading problem, later diagnosed as dyslexia.
Villasenor dropped out of school his junior year and moved back to Mexico. As a young adult a compassionate woman taught him to read, and ironically Victor decided he wanted to be a writer. For ten years he worked as a common laborer, digging ditches and cleaning houses. But all the while he thought about plots and characters in the stories he could write. Continue reading →
February 12, 2015 · 7:36 am
The third Monday in February is designated as President’s Day. All Presidents, living and dead, are recognized and honored.
However, special honor is given to our first President, George Washington, born on February 22nd, and our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln, who was born on this day, February 12th in 1809. Lincoln is one of America’s most admired Presidents. Called the Great Emancipator for his role in abolishing slavery, Lincoln was a unifying influence during the most divisive time in America’s history, the Civil War.
Lincoln was a man of faith, courage and humility. He was also a man of great persistence and perseverance. His life was filled with many problems, challenges and set backs. Here’s a brief sketch of Lincoln’s road to the White House. Continue reading →