Have you seen the TOP TEN REASONS GOD CREATED EVE? It’s credited to anonymous. But I think Eve wrote it!
10. God worried that Adam would always be lost in the garden because men hate to ask for directions.
9. God knew that Adam would one day need someone to hand him the TV remote. (Men don’t want to see what’s ON television, they want to see WHAT ELSE is on!)
8. God knew that Adam would never buy a new fig leaf when his seat wore out and would therefore need Eve to get one for him.
7. God knew that Adam would never make a doctor’s appointment for himself.
6. God knew that Adam would never remember which day was garbage day.
5. God knew that if the world was to be populated, men would never be able to handle childbearing.
4. As “Keeper of the Garden,” Adam would never remember where he put his tools.
3. The scripture account of creation indicates Adam needed someone to blame his troubles on when God caught him hiding in the garden.
2. As the Bible says, “It is not good for man to be alone!”
1. When God finished the creation of Adam, He stepped back, scratched His head and said, “I can do better than that.”
The word of the week is marriage.
This past week-end, Norma Jean and I have been apart of an intensive marriage seminar recertifying us as Facilitators for Family Dynamics Institute to lead classes. (By the way, FDI has wonderful resources and we highly recommended their classes.)
As we engaged in the three days of training, we were reminded of some wonderful things about marriage.
(1) Marriage is honorable. The Bible says, “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral” (Heb 13:4). In an age where marriage is looked at with disdain, distrust and even disgust, we need to remember that marriage should be esteemed. Valued. Appreciated. Honored.
(2) Marriage is ordained by God. Contrary to modern sociologists marriage is not a human invention. Or the product of the Western world. Or a way to control or enslave women! Seriously consider the words of Jesus:
“Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.” (Matt 19:4-6)
Marriage began I the garden of Eden. God created marriage. Jesus blessed marriage. The Holy Spirit revealed the Truth about marriage. The relationship of marriage predates the law of Moses, governments of man and the Christian religion. It goes back to the beginning!
(3) God arranged marriage. He ordered it to be between one man and one woman. Period. The Bible is clear about that. Cultural change does not alter that fact. Societal willful rejection does not nullify God’s will for mankind. Enacted laws by governments does not negate God’s law.
As suggested in the opening piece, God made us different. Unique. Special. God created woman to complete man. To be companion. To complement him. Neither gender has a right to boast of superiority. Each one has been made with a God-given role. Responsibility. And rights.
Norma Jean and I were remind, again, the past few days that a happy, fulfilled and satisfying marriage is a life long process. It takes work. Requires effort. And involves some necessary components for success.
Respect. Trust. Commitment. Support. Exceptional love. These are necessary to have martial harmony. And if they are applied properly we will enjoy intimacy. Emotionally. Sexually. And Spiritually.
–Ken Weliever, The Preacherman