“What have we come to?” asks Dee Bowman in his June column from Pressing On Magazine.
To cite his concerns, Dee shares the following examples from our sin-sick society.
- I saw a commercial that advertises a place that has “just the right amount of wrong.” What have we come to?
- There is a city that announces unashamedly, “What goes on here stays here.” What have we come to?
- It is not uncommon for today’s political aspirants to use gross, gutter language–even take God’s name in vain with impunity– even with a sort of pride. And most folks just look the other way. What have we come to?
- Many of today’s sports (far too many!) look the other way, even continue to laud their heroes even when they spit in the face of integrity and morality–so long as they perform well enough to win. What have we come to?
- The social media can display all manner of ungodly, pornographic-like images and even some who profess to be religious people don’t even turn and look the other way. What have we come to ?
- Today’s business community has come to tolerate–even expect–all manner of inconsistencies, even obvious dishonesty, and then dismiss it all by saying, “Well, that’s just business.” What have we come to?
- Far too many people–including some who call themselves “Christian”–dismiss these and a host of other actions similar to them with reactions like, “Whatever…” or “Well…that’s just how it is.” What have we come to?
Our brother’s question demands an answer.
It reminds me of the sad state of Israel and Judah as recorded by the Old Testament prophets.
“Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes And clever in their own sight!” (Isa 5:20-21).
In fact, Jeremiah’s lament is descriptive our brazen culture today.
“Were they ashamed when they committed abomination? No, they were not at all ashamed; they did not know how to blush. Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; at the time that I punish them, they shall be overthrown,” says the Lord.” (Jer. 6:15, ESV)
While every age has had its share of sinful behavior, it seems that we are constantly reaching a new low in modern day America. Satan’s scheme is moving at warp speed. We have come to a point where every belief and behavior, no matter how bizarre, must be accepted and tolerated. In fact, even celebrated. Almost all politicians are catering to the homosexual community and its perverted agenda.
Blatant. Brash. Shameless. Defiant. Impudent. And insolent. All describe the attitude of our culture toward God, goodness, and moral restraint.
While we are not surprised that godless people will engage in sinful behavior, it is still shocking that Christians will accept it and dismiss it with little concern.
Dee’s final question should prompt some serious reflection in the minds of Christians: “And where do we go from here?”
We need to return to God’s Word as our moral guide-book.
We need to return to fervent prayer for our nation, our homes and our churches.
We need to return to Lord’s day worship as a priority and not a matter of convenience when we feel like it.
We need to return to seeking first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness.
We need mothers and fathers to return to God’s plan for the home. To teach our children right from wrong. And to set an example of faithfulness and fidelity to each other and to the Lord.
We need return to trusting the Lord instead of Wall Street, Washington, or political parties.
We need to return to “living soberly, righteously and godly in this present world.”
Yes, we wonder “what the world’s coming to?” Our response should be: “Look what’s coming to the world.”
–Ken Weliever, The Preacherman